Everyone knows that the best family reunions happen when there’s good food involved! This year, make your family reunion even better with this easy Shrimp Po’ Boy Recipe. Whether you’re in New Orleans or enjoying a taste of the Big Easy from your own kitchen, a Shrimp Po’Boy is sure to please. Featuring succulent shrimp marinated in hot sauce and fried until golden brown, this sandwich is piled high with lettuce, tomatoes, and a spicy mayo sauce on a French roll. Kick off the spring season with this delicious seafood treat!
It’s simple to make, and sure to please everyone at the table. So grab some ingredients and get cooking! Your relatives will be grateful you did.
History of Poor Boys Sandwiches
According to New Orleans Magazine, the history of the Shrimp Po’ Boy is debatable. However, it’s likely that this unique sandwich was created by brothers Bennie and Clovis Martin in 1929. The restaurant they owned (Martin Brothers Coffee Stand and Restaurant) was located in the French Market in New Orleans. During Lent, it is said that fried shrimp were sold cheaply to attract customers to the restaurant.
Poor Boys Sandwiches, also known as Po’ Boys, are one of the most popular styles of sandwiches in New Orleans. A traditional Poor Boy features a torpedo roll stuffed with fried seafood or roast beef “debris” gravy. The name comes from the fact that during hard times, people would have to eat whatever they could get for a cheap price. Over time, these sandwiches have become a staple of New Orleans cuisine and are served in some of the city’s most popular restaurants.
New Orleans Flavors
New Orleans cuisine blends Creole, Louisiana, Caribbean, Spanish, African flavors into something truly unique. This can be seen in Poor Boys sandwiches as well. French bread is the standard roll used for this sandwich recipe. While you might see other types of bread being used at some restaurants or food trucks, this baked baguette-style bread provides the perfect foundation for the sandwich.
Yield Servings: 2
- 1 lb. medium peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup hot sauce, divided
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Vegetable oil
- 2 French hero rolls, halved lengthwise
- 1 beefsteak tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 tbsp sliced cornichons, for garnish
- Toss the shrimp in the buttermilk, 2 tbsps of hot sauce and ½ tbsp of the salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining ½ tbsp of salt with the flour, cornmeal, cayenne, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, and pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tbsps of hot sauce with the mayo until smooth.
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat oil and line a plate with paper towels. Drain the shrimp well before tossing them in the flour mixture to coat well.
- Working in batches, fry the shrimp until golden brown and cooked 1 minute. Using a metal spider, transfer the shrimp to the prepared plate to drain, immediately seasoning with salt. Let the oil return to temperature between batches.
- Spread the mayo mixture on both halves of the rolls. On the bottom halves, divide the fried shrimp, top with the sliced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and sliced cornichons.
Grocery Store Near Me
Are you looking for a grocery store near you that has all the ingredients you need to make your favorite recipes? If so, then look no further than GalaFresh Farms. Here, you’ll find everything from fresh produce and meat to spices and sauces.
492 St. Marks Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11238
2485 Grand Avenue Baldwin, NY 11510
795 Old Country Rd. Riverhead, NY 11901
GalaFresh makes it easy to find everything you need! With a wide variety of fresh produce, meats, and dairy products, they have everything you need to make a home-cooked meal. Plus, with their convenient online shopping option, you can order your groceries from the comfort of your own home. No more fighting traffic or long lines at the checkout! So why wait? Start shopping at GalaFresh today!